KIND to Your Skin: Winter Care for Your Lipskindsoap22stg
Do you struggle with dry, cracked or chapped lips during the winter months? There are many factors that affect the tender skin of our lips. What is the best way to protect and heal them? Before you coat your kisser with that tube of lip balm that you grabbed from the checkout lane, let’s look at some tips for natural lip care.
The Goods on Your Yapper
Your smile is part of what makes you unique. In fact, much like your fingerprints, no two sets of lips are the same. From it, words of love are spoken, tender kisses are given, and we sip delicious drinks. While the face is comprised of many thick cell layers, your lips usually have between three to five thin cell layers. Because of this, you can see the blood flow more obviously, giving you that pretty pink or red color.
Outside factors like UV rays are harsher on your lips because there is little melanin to protect them. Unlike the rest of your skin, your lips do not contain any sebaceous or sweat gland to hydrate from the inside-out. Our only means of hydration comes from saliva or moisturizers. However, saliva contains digestive enzymes and bacteria (gross, right?!) that can cause further chapping and splitting.
Not All Moisturizers are the Same
For many years the advice was to use a petroleum-based product to seal in moisture and provide a protective barrier against the elements. Research has shown that these ingredients are potential carcinogens. These emollients are either absorbed into our bloodstream or ingested.
Another common ingredient found in the average tube of balm is pesky parabens. They’re added as an anti-microbial element, but they carry another set of woes. Parabens have been linked to endocrine and hormonal disruption, as well as certain cancers.
Fragrances and flavors are yet another commonly added ingredient, as well as dyes for a boost of color. All of these additions equal further potential for health hazards. Want to know more about the reasons why these ingredients should be avoided? Check out our blog on the Dirty Dozen for the filthy truth.
Top Tips for a Soft Kiss
The best defense against chapped lips (and all healthy skin) is a good offense. If you start with a nutrient-dense diet and plenty of water, you’re setting yourself up for success. Foods rich in vitamins A, B, C, and E all play a part in your skin’s health.
The same can be said for topically healing and protecting your lips. Using natural ingredients that are rich in those vitamins, along with minerals and fatty acids can keep your kissers chap-free even in the toughest conditions.
Look for lip balms that contain the following for protection and a noticeably softer smile:
- Shea Butter– An excellent emollient that heals cracked, aged and damaged skin. It’s high in vitamins A and E and is renowned for its skin softening and moisture-retaining ability.
- Vitamin A– a saturated fatty acid that belongs to the family of chemical compounds known as retinoids, one of the most important vitamins for the appearance of the skin. It penetrates the outer layers of the skin and works to repair the lower layers where collagen and elastin reside.
- Vitamin E– As an antioxidant, it defends the skin and is believed to remove the free radicals that cells produce. Free radicals then turn the oils of our skin rancid, which damages the collagen. Collagen is the protein fibers that serve as the building blocks of our skin. Antioxidants are used in skincare products to neutralize free radicals before they ravage the skin.
- Beeswax– used as a skin humectant, emollient and protective barrier.
- Sunflower Oil– very high in essential fatty acids and helps to moisturize, regenerate and condition the skin. It’s good for mature, sensitive and dry, damaged skin.
- Sweet Almond Oil– has great nutritional value for all skin types. It has a similar makeup to a baby’s sebum, the oil naturally produced by the skin to protect it and is easily absorbed. It contains glucosides, minerals and vitamins and is rich in proteins.
KIND Solutions to Lip Care
We’ve created an entire line of lip care that we’re proud of. Our KINDkisses collection is made from natural, edible ingredients and is far superior to anything else we’ve ever tried.
Our Butterfly Kisses is as soft and as barely-there as a butterfly kiss on your cheek. This clear balm has just the faintest hint of vanilla and is great for every set of smackers out there. You’ll love the simple, yet nourishing ingredients: soybean & sunflower oils, beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, vitamin E, aloe vera, & vanilla.
Our Eskimo Kisses is a fresh, minty scented lip balm that offers superior protection on even the most blustery of days! It’s clear, making it a great balm for guys and gals. It’s loaded with all-natural emollients that seal in moisture with a pepperminty zip.
Sweeten up your smooch with our Honey Kisses balm. It’s loaded with natural oils, butters and humectants and a touch of honey to soothe unbearably chapped lips. Our Honey Kisses deeply hydrates without leaving a waxy feel behind. This is yet another all-natural lip balm that everyone in your family will love, thanks to its clear, matte finish.
Looking for a lip balm that doubles as a lipstick? Grab a tube of our Rose Petal Kisses for that perfect pop of color that magically compliments a variety of skin tones. It’s filled with some of nature’s most nourishing and protective oils and butters so it not only looks good but works wonders. It has also been known to improve your outlook (who says we shouldn’t wear rose-tinted glasses?!).
The men-folk (and women) will appreciate our Block Beer & Bacon Fat Lip Balm. It’s a collaborative effort between KIND and the Block Butcher Shop & Restaurant across the street. Made from pasture-raised local lard and the Block’s own Beer “Dubble Block” by St. Louis brewer Perennial Artisan Ales, this clear balm is moisturizing with a hint of mint.
Finally, our top-selling Goodnight Kisses is a little jar of awesomeness you won’t be able to live without. This balm is a bit like a Swiss Army knife… it’s the ultimate multi-tasker. Sure, it can soften chapped lips. But that’s just the beginning! Try it is an aromatherapy treatment, using it to relax and relieve stress. A little dab of Goodnight Kisses even aids in healing and soothing a burn, sting or itchy bug bite. Cracked cuticles love a little kiss from it as well. This little jar can almost do it all!
And for the lip balm addicts in your life, we recommend our Lip Balm Lovers Set. Whether you’re looking for a little variety or wanting to give a gift that will please those that just can’t get enough lip balm, this is your go-to. It’s a trio of KINDkisses lip products bagged, tagged, and ready to give to your favorite lip balm junkie (or keep for yourself… we’re not judging)!
This set contains one of each:
- Butterfly Kisses clear vanilla balm
- Goodnight Kisses lavender & shea butter lip treatment
- Eskimo Kisses clear minty balm
When your chapped lips are begging for moisture, treat them to the best all-natural ingredients you can. Got other winter skin woes? Our KIND experts are ready to listen and help you find a solution that is right for you and your loved ones.